Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Truths: Expect the Unexpected

Last night as my daughter and I laid on the couch and watched the Bachelorette – I had this overwhelming feeling that everything was at peace. There was a contentment in my heart and a wholeness in my soul. (none of this had anything to do with the Bachelorette… who is as annoying as Hell)

The day had started like many others have in the last few months… running a couple miles, endlessly counting sit ups and wincing with each push up – all in an attempt to get in shape for the wedding of my step-daughter.

But around 10:30 as I embarked – things took a turn.

It was Monday which meant that Abby would be with us – but she was with her dad at his lakehouse and they weren’t coming home for the week… Sure, they offered to drive her home but I had no problem going to get her – just an hour away…

So, I packed a bag for the day – swimsuit, towel, etc and headed to my ex-husband’s lakehouse to enjoy some boating and swimming with his wife and their children – and of course the daughter we have together.

The thing is – this is NOT a big deal for us…

I don’t think of Keith and Carol as ex-anythings – we think of them as friends – really good friends.

We had lunch and got on the pontoon boat and anchored in the bay where Carol’s sister-in-law and nephew came to join us…and we floated in the water and played with the kids – and not one of us thought anything about it.

Well, I guess I do – but only because those moments I find myself catching my breath – taking in the amazing thing we created. Finding appreciation in what many consider completely insane.

No, it didn’t happen overnight but it did happen – and that is both unexpected and beautiful.

The kids went tubing and we stopped by Carol’s sister-in-law’s house and talked and eventually made it back to the house when Carol’s mom and more nieces and nephews came. And it wasn’t just “their” family – it was like an extension of our family. We know them all – see them at other family gatherings we hug and smile and laugh… and its good. It is healthy.

Abby and I could have stayed for lunch – heck – we were welcome to stay the night – but we needed to get home so we said our goodbyes…

The car ride was quiet – we were both tired…and as I looked at Abby I could only think – how little she understands. To her, a relationship like this is normal – seeing her parents and her step parents hang out isn’t odd. And, I guess that means we did a good job at accomplishing the extraordinary.

I think as I laid on the couch last night – I felt whole because our lives are whole. What was once perhaps considered broken and fragmented – is now seamlessly one. And it gives meaning to, “expect the unexpected.”

1 comment:

  1. I love what you, Bill, Keith and Carol have done for Abby and for yourselves.

    ReplyDelete