Friday, December 3, 2010

Tails: The reward of rescuing a reject

I was lying in bed this morning – and like everyday for the first ten minutes I am awake – I was snuggling with our dogs – all 4 of them and many times all three of the cats. All seven of them lie on the bed and relish the quiet moment of being spoiled.

Today as Penelope and Thorp lay on my chest and lie their heads up by mine – I couldn’t help but look deep into their eyes and recall how far they have come.

Both puppy mill dogs – rescued at an Amish dog auction. Both survivors of neglect and abuse. They came with scars I thought would never go away.

Thorp came first. I never intended to take home a dog that day…but when I saw him cowering in his cage yet eager for someone to love him… He slowly made his way to the front of the cage as I whispered to him. With utter fear and caution, he inched his way forward and gently licked my hand. I was taken and I took him home for $60.00.

Penelope came second. It was my third auction and I already knew before going that I would rescue a dog. Weeks before the auction I chose her from the auction list. Number 141. Sight unseen, I knew I loved this dog.

Both of them suffered from neglect and lack of vet care and both needed numerous medical procedures. Beyond the physical imperfections came emotional wounds that would take years to heal.

They were scared and unsocial – never had seen grass or stairs or had been held or given affection. They shook at the sight of people and their first reaction was to run. They took shelter in their crates as if it was the safest place in the house – because that was all they had known.

They lacked potty training skills and even today – have a few accidents.

But today as they clung to me – eager for attention and love – it is no mystery that they have succeeded.

The other day a friend asked me to find her the perfect dog. I laughed and said, “There are no perfect dogs.” And then she said, “Well, then a really, really good one.” And I laughed again and said, “The dogs I know aren’t like that – they all have issues that need time to be worked through.” And then I walked away.

It probably seemed cold what I said… But, people always want me to find them some perfect dog – just the right color, just the right size, the right sex and if that weren’t enough – it has to obedient, yet fun, lovable but not needy and of course, potty trained.

Yeah, right.

The dogs I know who need homes certainly will never meet all of those expectations. And, should they have to?

How many people do any of us know who are perfect? We might know people who think they are perfect – but we know different.

Why should a dog be held to any other standards?

I guess what I want people to know is that there is something special about rescuing a reject. Taking in a dog for no other reason but to love them unconditionally. Accepting that they have issues they need to work through and taking the time and being patient as they do.

Thorp has gone on to be a certified therapy dog who is now looking for work and while Penelope doesn’t have any certifications – she is a very well-adjusted, happy dog.

Along the trials and tributes of rescuing them – there is no doubt that I and my family was rescued too. We learned the true meanings of love and acceptance. We learned that it takes more than a bowl of food and a fenced in yard to have a dog – it takes courage and faith and an unconditional kind of love that you never knew you had in you until you were rewarded with the affection of a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment