Friday, December 10, 2010

Truths: The Company Christmas Party

Aaahhh… This weekend marks my husband’s company Christmas Party. There aren’t many like this one anymore. Hosted at the Grand Geneva in Lake Geneva, WI – it is a high class event – practically free to everyone – the food is outstanding and the bar stays open all night!

Many of the party goers will arrive tonight – to prime themselves for what will be, for most, a big drinking weekend. It will start for many at the waterpark where employees’ families will gather, watch their kids frolic in the water and play cards – chugging back a few beers – with the intent not too have too many because the party is tomorrow night. (that doesn’t seem to always work)

Because the party is so big – about 500 guests – the company gets an amazing room rate at what really is a 5 star hotel. It would be hard to pass it up – especially since no one wants to drive home.

Tonight will be laid back and fun - in anticipation of Saturday. The regulars will hang together, the kids will scream and all will be good.

Tomorrow morning the majority of the people will rise with only a slight headache and make plans for what to do to pass the time before the party. Some will go into town to shop or eat lunch and some will say, “to Hell with it” and go back to the waterpark - and some will do all three and start drinking – those are the few who usually don’t make it to the party.

But the real fun is tomorrow night.

See, I have been going to these parties for 16 years and Bill has been going to them for 30 – we are definitely seasoned. Between the two of us – we have seen it all. And, okay, been a part of some of the craziness at one point or another.

I have lost my shoes, gotten lost on my way back to the room, “borrowed” decorations from the hotel for our room party… (nothing big – just a few reindeer and Christmas trees)… I am certain I said things to people I should have never said and danced in ways that were inappropriate - and yes, I reluctantly admit – I am sure I have puked and passed out at one or two of them… Maybe at the same time.

And while I don’t think Bill has ever lost his shoes – I am confident that he has done all of the rest.

No, not everyone drinks like we do… I don’t know what those people do – because they don’t stay long at the party and tend to keep their distance from people like us.

But we drink and we watch other people drink and we all do things that we shouldn’t.

One of the interesting parts of the evening is seeing what people wear – and boy do they wear everything. From jeans and sweaters to full length gowns to mini dresses barely covering any skin.

In my 16 years – I have always worn a different dress. I have done the holiday green, the slinky black bare back, the shimmery silver and even threw in a bridesmaid dress – to get good use out of it.

This year – I turned more practical… I tried on 25 dresses – all different styles and while mostly black – some color – and when it came right down to it – I picked the most simple one. Maybe its because I am turning 40 and it just seemed like the right thing to do… It covered the tops of my arms (which I don’t find very flattering) and fit perfect – no alterations this year – and it was $100. Oh, and most importantly – it was a size 6. Honestly, I think that is what it was. Maybe it was mismarked – but I went with it anyway. Most of the others were 8’s and hey, it’s the little things that make us happy, right?

I did try on a beautiful, full length, black and white dress – I did love it but it was $400.00. I have spent close to that before – but it seemed ridiculous to me this year. Again, showing my age – I couldn’t rationalize the cost. There are a lot more things I would rather do with $400 (remodel the kitchen…paint the house…put in a new floor…) and the truth is – I am happily married – while I want to look great for Bill – I certainly don’t have to parade around in a $400 dress to do it.

When I told the nice, young girl which of the dresses I chose, she looked so disappointed. It took me back a bit – but then I figured she is 22 years old and I am soon 40 and I have reached a point in my life – where I will no longer be selecting dresses that are cool… I made my purchase and left… Happy, feeling a bit aged, and thrilled that it was a size 6.

So, anyway, there will be people of all sizes and shapes wearing all sorts of things and that will be fun to watch… but the real fun comes later – after everyone has had a few drinks and the true meaning of a Company Christmas party takes shape… when people get drunk and start doing and saying things they will only regret on Sunday.

There will be the employees who decide this is the best time to tell their boss how they really feel. They will have the courage to ask why they didn’t get a raise – or how soon it will be before they get a promotion. Some will literally shed tears about the unhappiness in their lives and how they love their job so much.

Some will makes passes at fellow employees or employees’ spouses because it seems like the right thing to do… others will dance like no one is watching and a few will pass out at the table.

Truthfully, I love it…

But, Bill and I did make one pact: no one will let the other get stuck talking to someone for more than 15 minutes – unless they give the sign that they are okay. Because when people drink – they talk incessantly… and that prevents me from getting another drink or going to the bathroom – both of which I do a lot of after 6pm.

I suggested that we make a list of people who it would be acceptable to talk to for long periods of time… I had three: Monica, Debbie and Steph – these three are my really good friends – so if I am talking to them it is either important or fun or we are holding each other up – or holding each other’s hair up while we puke… We are those kinds of friends and those kind of friends don’t need talk time limits.

Bill didn’t really have anyone he felt he could talk all night to – so we figured out what sign language we would use and promised each other rescue.

Tomorrow will be a blast… I just hope I am not the one with big regrets on Sunday – or a massive hangover that prevents me from finishing up decorating for the holidays…

‘Tis the season to (drink) and be merry!

1 comment:

  1. Becky, I am honored to be one of the few that has no time limits with you! I am looking forward to gossiping about our co-workers, commentating on whose boobs will pop out of their dresses first, and who is making the biggest ass of themselves. If we are lucky, maybe it will be our little group :) Can't wait to see you all and make some more great Christmas party memories... Love, Deb

    ReplyDelete