Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Tails and Truths: When you least expect it

Once in awhile you realize that you should have faith in fate – faith in something bigger than yourself – faith, that when you least expect it, your life is going to take a turn and make you a better person – perhaps, even, the person you are supposed to be.

I like to say that I rescued Thorp. I swooped in and carried him away from a miserable life and gave him a second chance at what he so rightfully deserved.

In the rescue world we often say, “It was the dog who rescued me.” And, that could not be any truer than it is for me and Thorp.

I have always identified all the things that Thorp has taught me: patience, unconditional love, gratitude… But, I never realized, fully, how much he could change me as a person – or what experiences he would give me the opportunity to explore – or ultimately, the way he would nurture a side of me I barely understood - or even knew existed.

It’s no secret that me and kids are not really a “thing.” There is a reason I rescue animals – because I feel all the things that many people feel about children. I don’t dislike children – I love my daughters and my grandchildren with all of my heart and would give them anything and support them in whatever they choose but me and kids – I just never had the patience or the ability to make a real connection.

For 6 years I volunteered in Abby’s class – reading to them, doing sight words, leading art projects – but I really never looked forward to it… It was part of the stay at home mom job and I did it. I would always leave there feeling frazzled and questioning how anyone, in their right mind, would want to be a teacher!

When I signed Thorp up for training to be a therapy dog and envisioned taking him to classes – I naively overlooked that I would find myself in a classroom again – with kids. I was so focused on the goal – that the facts surrounding it evaded me.

Thorp and I attempted to find him employment (he works for free) many times before we came to our current school. No one wanted to hire us – our future seemed a bit dismal. And that is when I met Mary and a whole new opportunity opened up to us – to work with kids who have varying emotional and behavioral challenges.

When I told people where Thorp got a job – they would fall silent and quietly sigh. Maybe it was because they knew me and wondered what the Hell I was doing… I had never even given it a second thought because I was doing this for Thorp. I felt that his second chance met allowing him to pursue what I believed was his calling.

A week ago I walked into a classroom and became instantly attached. I saw the impact Thorp would have on these kids and instantly everything he and I had been through made sense.

But yesterday, yesterday cemented all those feelings. We walked in and the kids ran to Thorp and to me – we both got hugs and when we sat on the carpet and read the giant dog book I brought – it felt amazingly right.

In a week, I have come to feel like I know these kids. I think it’s because they are so open – their feelings are never hidden and they have this unbridled desire to participate. It’s not an easy classroom, don’t get me wrong. Somehow, Mary handles it with ease – it is amazing but there is just something about being there that feels unbelievably different than ever volunteering in Abby’s class.

No one, who knows me, would have ever predicted that I would find comfort in a class like Mary’s – they would be in disbelief that I could be so excited and so patient with the kids – but I am.

Maybe Thorp is the conduit between us.

Yesterday one of the girls was having a hard time – she didn’t want to participate and was very upset. She didn’t want Thorp – but somehow - he walked over to her – as if he knew. He came up beside her and with little hesitation she reached out to him. I had to catch my breath.

The little boy I fell in love with last week – sat with me and talked to Thorp and showed us his family tree. He melts my heart and leaves me thinking about him long after I leave the school.

A few of the kids made beaded necklaces for Thorp and he wore them proudly as we left the classroom.

I was sad to leave and anxious to return… who would have thought?

Its amazing where life takes us – on paths and journey’s we never saw ourselves on - plans we never would have made for ourselves – some rather unthinkable.

Three years ago – almost to the day – I walked into a barn and rescued a dog – I hadn’t a clue what I was doing or even a thought that he would change my life – and now when I least expect it I find myself in a place I never would have dreamt of – full of compassion I didn’t know I had and a desire to help make a difference... alongside the dog who rescued me.

1 comment: