Thursday, July 22, 2010

Truths: The 3 Musketeers didn’t have it this good

Last night MaryKate and I and our families got together at a Kelly’s house for a BBQ because MaryKate is in visiting from Spain where she now lives.

Sounds like a typical evening among friends…but as I sat there enjoying my two friends’ company, I couldn’t help but remind myself that we have been friends for over 30 years now. And, I don’t just mean acquaintances…truly best friends who know everything about each other – and I mean everything.

We have seen each other grow up – from raising hermit crabs to guinea pig picnics to scraped knees and first periods and training bras – from passing notes to boys to “first times,” from engagements to divorces and just about anything else in-between.

It would be hard to take all of that for granted…and yet, I suppose because all of our lives are so busy raising kids and living…we do take for granted the amazing friendship we share that has transcended three decades and 2/3 of our lives.

The more amazing thing is that when we do get together, like last night, it as though no time has ever passed between visits. MaryKate has been gone for a year – and as we sat there last night it was as though she never left… it was really as though we were 16 again just talking and hanging out (and having a few beers!) (and except for our kids clamoring for our attention)

But, we also realized last night as we talked about our aging bodies – Kelly had just thrown out her back, I could barely walk from exercising again, and MaryKate explained that after she does the Wii Fit her ankle swells… that we are getting older – next year we will all be 40.

We laughed about getting older – where did all of the time go? It seems like just yesterday we were calling boys and hanging up or sticking a bobby pin in the cable to watch R rated movies when our parents weren’t home.

All I know is that I look forward to 40, 50, 60 and on because of these friendships I have with these wonderful women. These women who have been so close to me – so supporting of every dream I have had and through every nightmare I have endured.

We are all going up to our cabin in a few weekends and I cannot wait… three or four days with my closest friends – time to truly hang out and enjoy the families we have created and the friendship we have shared.

Who knew when we were once playing house with our Barbie dolls that that would be us one day (minus the high heeled shoes).

1 comment: