Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Truths: Fly Damn It!

So, I hit a bird yesterday… though I really think that the on-coming car hit the bird and then it flew into the front of my car. (At least that is what I am telling myself). I don’t hit animals. I am one of those people who is bound to end up wiping out into a telephone pole to miss the raccoon crossing the street.

People have told me for years that I need to think of myself first when I drive but it is pure natural instinct for me to think of the animal. Swerving to miss an opossum or a stray dog is just in my DNA.

But, the fate of the bird yesterday really got me thinking… Why in the Hell does a bird fly so close to the traffic? Here they have one of the most amazing talents – one that many humans wish they could possess: the ability to spread their wings and fly wherever they want to.

And yet, they choose to use this gift to hover over cars racing by at 60 mph. What gives?

Worse is when you see a goose or duck WALKING across a 4 lane highway? I guess the term “bird brain” had to start somewhere.

But, seriously, it got me philosophizing life in general. Truthfully, we are all much like the birds – we are given talents, passions, yearnings and yet, we do everything we can NOT to use them.

Okay, maybe it’s just me I am talking about – but you know that you smiled when you read that.

My book…my fricking book. I have already made a commitment to myself to get serious about it once Abby starts school which is exactly two weeks from tomorrow. And yet, I find myself thinking about a job at a nursery, or going back to school, or starting a business.

I want this book to happen and still I am sabotaging myself – MYSELF!

Why do we do this? I once heard or made it up in my head that the things that mean the most to us are the hardest to start (which is why I never got around to scrapbooking any of Abby’s baby pictures).

If I could get my book published and just sell it to 100 people – that would be my dream come true and still I let myself wander away from it.

It should not take gut wrenching discipline to fulfill the one dream you know you are passionate about and yet, for me, it does.

Like the bird yesterday, I let myself hover amongst racing thoughts and interferences – allowing myself to be bumped around by things that just don’t mean that much to me.

And like the poor birds fate yesterday, that might soon be the fate of my book if I don’t spread my own wings and get flying!

Think about what really means the world to you, what you would love to have accomplished in a year, 5 years or just simply before you leave this world and then ask yourself, “What is keeping me from achieving that?”

If it helps, think about the little sparrow who failed to use the amazing talent he had…no one wants that to be them. ☺

1 comment:

  1. Get that book done! :) I guess I'm free to meet at the library and work together on afternoons now...

    ReplyDelete