Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Truths: Half way

It is almost June and that means that nearly half the year is over. And that made re-examine the goals I set on January 1st. This is the first year that I took each month and designated at least 5 things to accomplish. It was my way of breaking down everything I wanted to do this year and making it achievable – or so I thought. The year, of course, started with a bang and as January came to a close I had marked off all 7 things, February – same thing and then March hit and the list started to wane.

I guess the first debockle was when I injured my back and my goal of running three miles a day came to an end and then I found that I was so busy going to Dr. appointments that my book editing lingered… and here I am the end of May – with more things circled still to do then things checked off as done.

Sure life gets in the way. I had a few health scares… my grandma got sick and passed away…and – well, shit just happens.

The interesting and saddest discovery is that the one goal that means the most to me: my book – is the one item that is circled every month. Why – why has everything else come first?

I don’t know and I don’t even know if I know how to change it. All I do know is that my priorities are, obviously, messed up.

Its not all bad – Thorp got involved in therapy work and I found myself with this unexpected gift of students who inspire me. I got to spend a lot of time with my grandma before I lost her, and a lot of house is de-cluttered. And, I guess all of that makes a difference in my life.

But, it is almost June and the good thing is that I have 6 months to re-cover. To re-prioritize and get back on track. As soon as I post this blog – I am going to re-write my year plans and do my best to recover the time I lost. Its never too late to change course - or so I can only hope.

1 comment:

  1. Your calendar is not half empty; it's half full!
    I'd be happy to have an afternoon writing session with you!

    ReplyDelete