Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tails: The Unchosen

Last night as my family sat around watching Dancing with the Stars and I was laying on the couch with our newest puppy mill dog, Penelope, I began to think about all of our dogs.

I know there are so many people out there who have this ideal about what breed of dog they want and how old they want it to be. If they want a male or a female. They research temperaments and grooming needs. They read about how much exercise the dog will need and if it will be good with children. These people search high and low for the dog of their dreams.

I guess for the most part, in the end, these people are happy with their choices and I do believe that it is an excellent idea to do the homework before getting any dog.

But, I can't help thinking when I look at my 4 rescued dogs - that I ended up with the unchosen. No one wanted these dogs - they were not anyone's dream. In fact, two of them, the puppy mill breeding dogs, never even had a chance to be someone's puppy.

They became a part of our family by chance.
Buddy, a true mutt, - a couple didn't want any longer and he just happened to land in our home.

Sadie, a mutt, I saw on Petfinder in a 1 inch photo and drove 16 hours round trip to get her. I had no idea what she was like - I barely knew what she looked like. But, when I got to the foster home, there was turning back. Even though she looked nothing like her photo and seemed kind of nippy.

Thorp, the male mill breeding dog was completely fate. I went to my first mill auction to protest and when I walked in the auction barn and saw all of the hundreds of dogs for auction: it took my breath away. But, when I walked up to #171's cage something struck me deep inside. This dog was a mess - he was gross and pathetic - and without knowing anything about him - I bought him for $60.00

I never had a Chinese Crested Powder Puff, I didn't even know what one was. But no one at the auction wanted him, except me.

Lastly, the most amazing story, is Penelope. a Shih Tzu. As a group of rescuers, we had been attending these auctions to try and save the used up breeding dogs whose only other fate would be death. There is a list that comes out with an auction number and a line that says, "sex, age, breed." That is it. No pictures, no description.

A friend of mine looked at the list and said, "Number 146 is for you."

So, I went to the auction and saw 146 and got her. When I saw her in the wire cage there was no looking back. Regardless of how shy she was, or how dirty she was or how many health problems she would have- I knew she would be mine. We had already named her; sight unseen.

All of our dogs are the unchosen, the unwanted but together they make this amazing pack. Sure, we have had our share of behavior issues. But what soul wouldn't have issues if it spent its life unwanted and unloved?

I used to almost laugh when people brought back dogs to animal control because the new one didn't get along with the old one, or the dog had an accident, etc...

Our dogs grumble with each other once in awhile, they have accidents, but they are ours and we love them. And because they are finally loved and safe - they are grateful. They share with us this unconditional love and they make us happy everyday.

We never knew anything about these dogs until they melted our hearts and became a part of our family.

I respect the people who research and idealize about the dog they want someday...but I also think its important to let fate be your guide, to open your mind and heart to the unwanted, the unchosen and let them in. No, they might not have a pedigree or be 8 weeks old, but they will be unique and amazing and they will love you unconditionally because you picked them when no one else did.

6 comments:

  1. Great job Becky! It makes me so sad to see that people only want to adopt the young and healthy. A dog doesn't care what you look like, why do we care what the dog looks like? It's becoming increasingly difficult to adopt out dogs with a disability, even though they have the same amount of love and affection to give you, sometimes it seems, even more. Lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. And we ended up with a dachsund mix (when we didn't want a dachsund)....and love her to pieces!!! My animal rescue dog seriously has the best personality of any of the three dogs we had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to blogging Becky! I love the work you do for the animals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky: Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging.

    Puppy mills are so horrible - you've done a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a thoughtful post ... and welcome to blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Becky, great job and I am proud to be right there with you! My pack is an awesome group of misfits so they fit right in with my husband and I:) Going to see my first mill soon, I know I can do it because I know they are all getting out!

    ReplyDelete