Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Truths: The Mop and the Bucket

Today is not an exciting day for me...or maybe it is. For the last few weeks, I have been committed to a bunch of meetings. I am involved in a Garden Club (I know it kinda makes me giggle too) and somehow I found myself on THREE committees - all with the same deadline.

There was the Train Station Beautification committee, the decorate a tree for our Opera House comittee, and then I co-chaired our first fundraiser. All of these things came together last week. And yesterday, after decorating the tree (and almost getting in the holiday spirit), I found myself FREE. No more meetings.

So, when I came home from my taste of the holidays, I came home to a house that is a complete disaster! Its funny how once you become busy and your regular schedule is thrown out the window - things fail to get done. Things don't seem to get put away and all of a sudden - your whole house has spiraled into a damn tornado of dirt, stuff and chaos!

That is where I find myself today... And yet, while I am dreading the hard work it will take to fix this - there is a part of me that just longs to put my life back in order - to gain control again.

I have four dogs and three cats - and it just doesn't work not having time to vacuum or mop. The hair that floats around this house is enough to cover a cow and keep him warm.

The sun light hits the wooden floors and it looks like I haven't vacuumed in two years (even if I did do it yesterday - which I didn't - but I usually do).

There are muddy footprints and dog toys strewn all across the floors. And as I take it all in, I notice that all four dogs and three cats are happily lounging on the sofa and the big chair. Oh - to be so content with your own mess.

I also have a daughter who apparently has a hard time taking her ice cream bowl to the sink. Whose crafts are all drying on the kitchen table that her 4 pairs of shoes are under!

To inspire my cleaning day, I did purchase a throw rug for our family room. We have been without ever since one of the dogs was horribly sick... I won't go into detail about what that was like. I will just say - we definitely needed a new rug. There was no saving the last one.

I also had my husband bring up some tables from the basement which we hadn't been using. I needed some excitement to clean - some type of change to satisfy me when I am done.

I am nuts like this - always re-arranging and trying new things in my house. It keeps me alive and it drives the rest of my family bonkers!

(Though I think this attempt might just be procrastination from putting up the Christmas tree and dragging up all the decorations!)

This need to clean, to maintain some control by having an organized home didn't start until much later in life. Gosh, ask my best friend, Kelly, what our dorm was like.

No, I wasn't always this clean - I think shows like Oprah and HGTV's episodes on clutter have forced me to get my act in order.

So, today I stare down my mess and I take back my house! And, tonight I will be calmer and happier and relieved - Until tomorrow when I notice a furball floating in the corner and I pick up shoes and now, have to vacuum that new rug!

1 comment:

  1. Hee! I'll always remember the toupee that we had for a rug in the dorm room!
    I've been subbing, going on field trips, just busy stuff lately that keeps me out of the house and I actually managed to keep up with most of the daily chores (cuz who else is going to do them).
    Bobbi said, Don't you find yourself getting more done when you are so busy?
    I wanted to say, "No, I get my crap done or at least most of it, because someone needs to do it, but I let my writing slide, and then I collapse at 9:30pm!"
    But I just smiled.

    ReplyDelete