Monday, November 30, 2009

Tails and Truths: Being Thankful

Well, it was a long weekend in honor of Thanksgiving and as the days went by and we enjoyed being with our grown-up kids at our cabin – I couldn’t help but think of some of the things I am thankful for.

Besides the yummy turkey and fattening gravy – are things we often take for granted. Being alive for one…sometimes life gets in the way of living. We are running around working, caring for our families, and making ends meet that we forget that we are alive and have the ability to pursue the things we are passionate about. No matter how busy we allow our lives to become – it is important to take a breath and cherish the mere fact that we are alive and that we do have control of how we spend our time here.

I am especially thankful for my family and friends who have come to love me as I am and embrace the crazy things I am passionate about… writing, saving dogs, being free spirited. These wonderful people in my life have supported me through many hard moments – even this year when my oldest brother passed away in a tragic boating accident. They came together and showed their love in so many ways that I was amazed…and grateful.

I am thankful for my daughters… Abby, at only 11(tomorrow) is such a generous spirit and an amazing artist – always creating. Lindsey, is a free spirit… anxious to see the world and accomplish her dreams. Kristin, is a loving spirit…with a big heart and a desire to have a family to nurture.

There is that unbelievable relationship with my ex-husband, his wife and their two girls who I treasure everyday. My friendship with Carol is so dear no matter how nuts it seems to others. And I feel so fortunate to be able to call Molly and Lucy my family… to be a part of their lives and watch them grow.

And, it would not be “me” if I didn’t also mention something I am thankful for that caught me a bit off guard this weekend. Yesterday, a friend of mine, Susan, and I went to help a shelter up by our cabin who was recently inundated with nearly 100 animals due to a seizure from a home that was unlivable. It is a small non-profit shelter in a county which is not full of resources or money. Taking on this many animals could financially bankrupt them. Not to mention they are completely short of manpower to care for all the animals.

When I arrived, I was so surprised by the shelter and how well it was managed and how well the animals were cared for. Blankets, toys, lots of food and, it was obvious, lots of love. I had envisioned a place somewhat run down and barely caring for the animals… Mostly, because of the geographic location.

As we cleaned cages and fed animals, I was continuously amazed by the operation. And, I became so thankful. Thankful that there are so many people around the globe who are truly caring about all of these homeless animals. I often become so skeptical of the world when I continue to see such neglect and cruelty that I forget how many wonderful people there are out there who are helping the voiceless animals and ending their suffering and giving them that second chance.

Being at that shelter and realizing the actual humanity in our world, has made me truly thankful for being alive, right now, today… and has given me hope for being alive…tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I am thankful for you too!! Love you!

    I love reading your blog. It is like having a dear conversation with you weekly.

    ReplyDelete