Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Truths: Being Martha Stewart isn’t Easy

So, once again I found myself in Urgent Care last night. Yes, that would be twice in less than 7 days??

Can you even believe it?

This time, since I have all my Christmas stuff done – I decided to recover a chair and went searching for material. I have done it all many times before..But apparently, yesterday, I pushed my luck.

I found some perfect suede material and it was on a bolt high up…so I went to the cutting station and asked this older lady for help. To which she said, “You can go get it yourself.”

Yes, I was miffed that she was obviously lazy and tried to explain that it didn’t seem like something I should do. (Not that I am lazy, but I had no idea how to get the bolt off the display.)

She didn’t seemed phased by my concern and so I went over to the display and attempted to get the bolt down.

It was really snug to the display and I had at to really yank on it to get it to move… and then BAM, it came flying out and the end of the metal rod smashed right into the top of my hand.

It hurt immediately… and I could see the redness and the blood from the scrape. I mustered up some adrenalin and brought the bolt to the lazy lady.

I was pissed. And, she knew it.

She looked at my hand and I said, “That was why I didn’t think I should get it down…”

To which she looked ashamed but not for long. She rolled out the fabric at her leisure without ever once apologizing.

I bought the fabric and some other Christmas décor (Hey, it was 75% off!) and drove home. (Okay, I stopped at TJ Maxx to see if they had a throw pillow to match.)

On the drive home, I looked down at my hand which was pounding away and there was a goose egg on the top of it the size of half a golf ball!

I called Carol, who was an athletic trainer prior to children… She said it was probably a hematoma and it would be fine.. But, by the time I got home, my whole hand was a balloon!

My poor husband walked through the door, took one look and said, “I think it might be broke – we should go to Urgent Care!”

Our original plan was to go get our passport pictures done because we are going to the Bahamas in February.

Ugh… back to Urgent Care – which took forever this time… Yes, one of the staff remembered me from 5 days ago!

The x-ray showed no break so they gave me some stiff pain meds and wrapped it up. Did I mention it is the same hand as my 6 stitches?

We picked up the meds and my husband was determined that we get the photos taken. So at 8:30pm we walked into Walgreens and took them. ( I look like an ex-con in mine…)

The new fabric is now lying across the chair. It does look great but stapling it to the cushion seems a little impossible right now.

That, and my husband threatened he would kill me if I did too much today and got hurt again!

So, the moral of the story… Martha Stewart must not do all of her crap by herself… All the sewing, the wrapping, the cooking, the decorating… If she did it all herself – like the few things I have attempted this week – she would be dead… I know I would be!

2 comments:

  1. The girl at fabric store should be paying your urgent care bill....seriously! I believe you can post pictures on your blog....I think you need to upload your passport photo immediately! I'm laughing with you, not at you : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS ... you poor thing! Two injuries on the same hand?! Hope it's feeling better.

    ReplyDelete