Thursday, August 5, 2010

Truths: Sororities don’t always have greek letters

Last night was the Woodstock Garden Club’s annual dinner with spouses. And, yes, I am a member of the club. My friends often giggle when I say that – I think it conjures up visions of big floppy hats and teapots but I joined because I enjoy gardening and really needed something more than animal welfare to be a part of my world.

(I have learned in the last year – that basically, I have a lot to learn about gardening)

I have never been one for large groups of women…sure I was a college sorority girl – I went to U of I – one of the largest greek systems – but, usually, I find women to be a bit catty.

However, I have been fortunate and the women of the garden club are wonderful. Now, it can’t go without say that I am the youngest member of the club and many of the women could easily be my mother – but I really enjoy getting to know them and truthfully, they are just the nicest people.

Last night was my first dinner with the group… I brought (dragged) my husband along so he could meet the ladies and all of their husbands and didn’t bring any expectations with me.

Boy, was I surprised.

The night was a lot of fun and I just could help but later compare it to a Gamma Phi mixer in college – here we were, this group of women, with our dates, gathered around a beautiful pool, chatting away. I was holding a beer and there were cocktails going around – even shots of apple pie!

In the middle of the night, the women all posed for a group picture – arms around each other – smiling as though we would later order the picture for our scrapbooks.

And for those friends who picture us wearing white gloves and sipping camomile… many of us found ourselves without knives as we stared at our plates with chicken breast patties…doing the only thing possible, we picked them up with our hands and ate them! Who knew, right?

The night got better when one of my closer friends, Vicky, explained to me (and you are gonna love this) that if you poor any type of cheap liquor in a Brita pitcher, it tastes great! (I am buying one today)

I guess what I am trying to say is that I had an unbelievable fun time – perfect venue, wonderful women and lots of good cheer.

When I joined the garden club – all I was looking for was a diversion from all the sad stuff I was witnessing in the world – but what I got was so much more and along the way some really beautiful friends.

1 comment: