Thursday, August 26, 2010

Tails: The beginning of the end

Authors Note: For those hanging on pins and needles (LOL) to find out what happened to my computer… It is broke and for $800 plus dollars I could get it fixed. It didn’t take a rocket scientist to know it would be wiser to get a new computer – so I did and today they should be downloading all of my data from my old, dead computer. My fingers are still crossed that they are able to retrieve all of the data – especially the pictures that represent 5 years of my life. But, today I had something more important to blog about…
*********


I am so excited to say that my state has gotten on board the anti puppy mill train. On Sunday, Govenor Pat Quinn signed HB5772 into law! This law will force pet stores across the state to expose just where their puppies are coming from. Which, for people like me, is not news but now thousand of potential buyers will see that these puppies are NOT from local, reputable breeders but from mass breeding facilities where little care or human companionship is ever offered.

HB5772 was a different way to go about ending the plight of puppy mills and at first I was disappointed that IL didn’t take a stand like WI did. WI attacked the problem by regulating the operations – providing strict policies on what the operations can and cannot do. It will make mass breeding operation extinct because few of them will ever be able to pass the inspections.

To me, directly punishing the operations made sense.

But, as I join in the celebration of HB5772, I realize that this is also an outstanding way to cease the operations. By forcing pet stores to reveal where the dogs are coming from – educated consumers will walk away and look for a reputable breeder where they will likely spend less money and get a quality dog – a dog raised in a home environment and not prone to illness and disease.

Eventually, enough people will stop going to pet stores to purchase puppies and pet stores, like Petland, will either sell animal products like a Petsmart or Petco or they will go out of business. Or, like the Petland in Wheaton, IL – they will have dogs available from local shelters to adopt. (what a great idea!).

Worried about the cute, little puppies in the window – who based on my scenario will be left without homes? Worry no longer. If, I mean WHEN, pet stores close and have puppies left over – I can guarantee that local shelters will happily take the pups, get them the vet care they need, spay and neuter them and then find great homes.

While shelters worry about the over crowding this could present at first – every shelter and rescue organization will welcome the day when puppy mills are a thing of the past.

I once slammed Representative Jack Franks for not supporting an anti-puppy mill bill and he called me on it to discuss his point of view. Well, now, in case he or his staff reads my blog again, I want to thank Rep. Franks for co-sponsoring HB5772. He has begun the end of puppy mills and certainly shown that IL, like its surrounding states, is joining the fight against mass breeding operations and recognizing “man’s best friend” deserves better

2 comments: