Friday, September 24, 2010

Truths: Life Unexpected

I have been remiss: not writing about the amazing trip I just had with my close and dear friend, Delreen.

We came back on Monday night and, well, life just got in the way. It was cleaning the house to restore order, appointments to go to ( run to), etc… and before I knew it the days had slipped away and I never even expressed to Delreen what a wonderful time I had.

Delreen and I left this crazy daily life for an excursion to Florida. What I should call it now is an adventure because so many crazy, fun things happened that it was hardly a relaxing trip.

It started with me leaving my wallet on the plane! (who does that?) And then freaking out that we wouldn’t be able to get on the express cruise to Key West without an ID – because we needed one… oh and I guess I was freaked out, too, that I lost my wallet… Its just that I was so excited to go to Key West that that was my priority.

Well, thanks to modern technology and my understanding husband – he took a photo of my passport with his iphone and emailed it to me – where we were able to print it and use it to get on the boat.

After setting sail and about to reach port – my dad called and said that he got my wallet from the airport! Now we could breath a sigh of relief and, of course, celebrate with one…no 12 Daquiris!

And that is what we did from noon until 5am… celebrate and dance and drink – did I mention the jello shots and Delreen’s liking for tequila? We innocently met “boys” who wanted to talk to us – and when you are about to hit 40 – knowing that you still “have it” is almost as good as a fruity cocktail on a tropical island!

And being able to stay out ‘til 5am – well that shows stamina at our age. And it really shows what a fantastic time we had – just two girls, two friends since college – sorority sisters, old roommates… best friends living it up on Duval St…

See it wasn’t just about the partying (though that was definitely a highlight) it was about us getting together, hanging out, talking constantly. We live far away from each other and while we communicate daily thru email – seeing each other is priceless and rare. – And that is what we got to do for 6 days.

I am unsure just what made Delreen and I click… we had the same major and we saw each other in classes and became friends during our pledge year at Gamma Phis.. and then we chose to room together and I guess that is when our bond became unwavering.

20 years later and our friendship has proven, literally, life saving. If it weren’t for Delreen I know I would have been lost a long time ago. Our daily emails are inspiration for going on, for pursuing dreams, celebrating victories and at times consoling life’s disappointments, tragedies, illnesses… she is my rock.

You don’t meet many people in your life who can relate to you on such a phenomenal level – people who understand you. But Delreen is one of those people to me – she truly changed my life and for that I am grateful..

But, here’s the thing – for 6 days – our lives were interrupted by pure enjoyment – late nights of conversation (and drinks) and days of sunshine. We escaped cleaning the house and daily routine and we were able to just spend time being friends.

When you are there, on vacation, you take for granted this reward – you enjoy it but you don’t realize how precious it is until you come home and become lost in your routine life…

And then you think how lucky you were to have your life interrupted for 6 days – how fortunate you were to have your close, and very dear friend all to yourself for 6 days – 6 days of everything good and fun and happy. 6 days that will become one of your fondest memories of your friendship – memories that even photographs can’t capture – memories that you are certainly grateful for long after you come back home.

2 comments: