Monday, April 25, 2011

Tails: My return to epiphany

My husband and I spent the long holiday weekend in San Diego visiting our daughter and our grandson. It was Bill’s birthday and I surprised him with the trip.

We had an amazing time – and just can’t get over how big Oliver has gotten and what a happy, adorable baby he is.

My dear stepdaughter knew it was important that I get time at none other than dog beach… and it was just as perfect as the last time.

I took my spot on the rock cliff and sat down amongst three dogs I didn’t know. And was immediately greeted by two more not to mention two friendly dog people – who just seemed to smile because they knew I was loving this.

While the dogs as the beach are entertainment alone – the genuine kindness of the dog owners is refreshing in itself. They share everything – toys, water, towels and they share themselves without guard. Dog people at dog beach are about the best people around.

I looked out at at least 50 dogs and I swear tears welled up in my eyes.

There were Chihuahuas standing next to Great Danes – Pit Bulls playing with Yorkies – Labs making friends with Cattle dogs – both vying for the tennis balls. There were even two Greyhounds off leash (rare for this breed).

I know most people could walk passed dog beach with merely a quick smirk but for me – well, it is where I belong.

There are few times in your life that take your breath away – times that bring tears to your eyes out of sheer joy – times that you find yourself speechless. Going to dog beach is one of these times for me.

The surf, the sand, the sun… and the myriad of dogs running free – it is a moment when all I can think is the world really is a beautiful place.

As I sat and basked in not just the rays but the power of watching something so simple and yet so incredible – all I could ponder is how few times we find true meaning in our lives.

Being at dog beach is like a continual ‘a-ha” moment for me. I have found true meaning in animals and all that they have to offer the world – from puppy mill horror to therapy dog success – animals have a way of connecting me to the world – of grounding me – centering me…

I wish, for one moment, that everyone could experience dog beach like I do – this ultimate moment of zen – utter happiness - absolute honesty.

Dog beach is inspiration to my soul – a faith that I am on the right track with my life – that my heart knows its direction. Few things can bring out such revelation but dog beach is an epiphany for me…and truly should serve as one to everyone… If a Daschund can hang out with a Mastiff – surely we all can find a way to get along and make peace in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment