Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Truths: A wedding (dress) in my future

So, this week I embark on a journey I never thought I would take at 40… looking for a “mother of the bride dress.” Or, in my case “a stepmother of the bride dress.”

And, of course, that makes all the difference – not to overlook – that I am a “young” stepmother of the bride – but thankfully – we are not the same age – just a decade apart.

I wasn’t planning on embarking on this journey just yet. The wedding isn’t until August but Kristin politely informed me that if I wanted to get a dress from a bridal store – I would need to order it soon. I know its true…

Its just that I have those pesky 10 more pounds to lose…and I wanted to be in top form before I started taking off my clothes with bridal consultants and zippering up size 2 sample dresses.

Its an interesting journey looking for a mother of the bride dress… because as I am sure you pictured the same thing - everyone does… a long, loose skirt of lace coupled with a chiffon camisole and a matching (long) lace jacket. We have all seen it – the typical mother of the bride dress… and, well, that certainly ain’t me!

It’s not any of the moms in this wedding.

But, I am also not a suit kind of girl. (notice I still call myself a girl). I need something fun – something pretty and maybe a bit sexy – why not?

I know being a stepmother of the bride – isn’t some new phenomenon. There are thousands of them. But, for me – well, it’s a little something new.

I have wrangled up a few friends for my little excursion. I need them to be honest but kind – as I am certain to be a bit rattled – a little unnerved and I hope when I find the right dress – completely elated.

The groom’s mom was able to find her dress by going to one store and spending an hour trying on dresses. Unless there is a dress God – this will NOT be me. I already have appointments at 4 bridal stores and hours allotted for two high-end department stores. I am a shopper who must exhaust all possibilities before committing to something – especially something this important.

And let’s not overlook the elephant in the room… I am the step-mom – and while I think I have a wonderful relationship with my stepdaughters – whom I love dearly – I am still the step mom and that leaves me in a very precarious situation on the wedding day.

I will be a part of the day – but it will not be my day to be THE mother of the bride… Hopefully, that day will come in 10-15 years… Unless Abby elopes, or decides she would rather spend her life saving the world, or following a band – or maybe she will be a lesbian - which would be okay… and maybe by then marriage will be legal and I will still get to plan her wedding… But at any rate – that will be my day.

Until then – I sit back and celebrate that Kristin fell in love with Jeffrey… I revel in the happiness that they share and the beautiful daughter they have.

And hopefully, by week’s end I will be toasting with my dear friend Nancy to my beautiful new dress that makes me look slim and sexy and doesn’t require 3” heels or spanx and is easy to dance and go to the bathroom in… That isn’t too much to ask, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment