Monday, September 12, 2011

Tails: Free to Good Home

Hardly the case these days.

I have spent the last 5 years immersed in animal rescue work. And I say that with the understanding that I have been “rescuing” animals all of my life. From caterpillars to frogs to strays and birds. But, for the last 5 years I have found myself amongst many wonderful people doing what they can to save that one last dog or cat from euthanasia or an abusive situation or a puppy mill on an Amish farm.

I have learned a lot about it all. I even learned the difference between “animal welfare” and “animal rights.” But, saddest of all, I have learned that no matter how many of us there are – there will always be an animal without a home.

But, what is a home for a pet? Can you define what one would like? Should it be 3000 square feet or can it be a trailer. Should the pet live outside or have its own 4 poster bed with silk linens? Should the pet have good ole Purina Chow or should it be served fresh ground meat and rice three times a day. Does it need a diamond studded collar or will a black nylon collar from a thrift store suffice? Can the owner work 8 plus hours a day – or should they be home with their pet? Will children be allowed? What ages? Should the pet be an only child or can it grow up with other pets of many species?

Its crazy, right? To decide what is right and what is wrong – but the saddest truth of all is that there are hundred of rescues out there deciding for everyone what makes a good home – and while I would bet my life they take these decisions to heart and only want to find the best home for the pet – I also firmly believe that they are losing hundreds of potential adopters every year.

There once was a time when a sign outside a window read, “Puppies Free to Good Home.” Now that signage is so long and the requirements so outlandish that they take 5 pages to fill out and of course $$$.

Recently I overheard a conversation of two men: one talking about his desire to get a Doberman. He looked into good breeders but on average he would pay $1500 or more. So, he thought he would try a few rescues. In his words, “It was a bunch of bullshit the crap they wanted me to fill out. And, then they informed me that they had the right to come to my home whenever they wanted to see the dog!”

He went on to explain to his friend that he just couldn’t bare to jump through all of those hoops. So, he had turned to Craigslist and found some backyard breeder who had 15 breedings dogs and could get a pup for $500. He knew, he said, that it wasn’t an ideal situation but he also knew he couldn’t afford $1500 and he didn’t have the time or the patience to write a book about why he would be a good home for some rescue group to read. Though within the conversation I eavesdropped on, the man described that the dog would have 5 acres to roam, it would be “king of the castle” and it would undoubtedly sleep in his bed.

Its hard for me to accept this truth – that rescues are pushing people to backyard breeders and, potentially, god awful petstores… I can say nothing but that I have lost my own patience for their tactics.

A fellow rescue friend is a volunteer for a Shih Tzu rescue. I watched her rescue the smallest, frailest, shih tzu at an Amish auction once. A little dog who was basically about to die had no one stepped in. She saved that dog’s life. I couldn’t be more proud to know her.

I rescued a Shih Tzu at another auction. A little dog who had had 6 litters of pups in 4 years. She was tired and sick. We call her Penelope and she lives amongst our three other dogs and our three other cats, she plays with our friends’ kids ranging in age from 3-12 and on occasion sits with our grandchildren who are each a year old.

I mention this because based on these facts my friend’s rescue would never be able to adopt to me. The cats might scratch the Shih’s eyes out, the kids would be too rough and you shouldn’t have a toddler with a little dog.

I am not disputing the possibility of any of these things happening – of course, they are all possible – but what I can say without hesitation is that Penelope flourishes in our home. She lays with the cats, plays ball with the kids and snuggles up to my grandkids as they play on the floor.

Had Penelope been rescued by my friend’s organization, I could have never adopted her. How sad would both our lives be?

Recently, on one of the platforms I am on – a rescuer was questioning an applicant because of the vet they chose and, I guess, that is what got me on my soapbox, that, and the man I listened to at lunch (it all happened on the same day).

I “eagerly” replied that I think this has all gone too far. With millions of dogs and cats without homes – aren’t we getting a little picky – a little too snotty to be so judgmental of individuals who, for the most part, want nothing more than to add a furry friend to their family? That, bless their hearts, they decided to try rescue – only to find that they need to reveal everything about themselves and, hell, throw in their first born to make a deal.

The group I am talking about shares the availability of dogs coming from the mills The mediator of the platform posts when millers have dogs available whom they don’t want anymore – she states what day they are going to the mill to get which dogs and hopes that some of the members of the group will offer to take the dogs in.

Horribly, there is not always room for someone to add a dog. And a few weeks back one of the 10 dogs was going to be left behind. Someone did come forward – but it leads me to beg the question – are we really in a position to be so demanding – turning away decent homes because they aren’t “perfect” enough – not to mention trashing the whole concept of rescue by making people believe its more like signing your life away then it is about finding a pup to love.

My response was not well received by some of the members. And I have grown only more angry and frustrated. In a country filled with uncertainty and a poor economy – and way too many homeless pets does it really matter what vet someone goes to – isn’t it just satisfying to know that they go to a vet?

I could hold my emotion back no longer and sent this email:

I would rather rescue 100 dogs and place them in average homes than only rescue 5 and place them in perfect homes. And, I think if you asked any abused, neglected, puppy mill or stray dog they would say that they would rather have an okay home than no home at all.”

So much for “free.”

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this one! It strikes home, I just posted a few weeks ago about a friend that was turned down by 3(!!!) rescues simply because she has a young daughter and lives in an apartment (which has no breed restrictions and she had already gotten a letter of permission from her pet loving, pit bull owning landlord...).

    It's a hard reality, but rescues can easily be their own worst enemy.. as well as an enemy to other rescues who may not be as strict. Once a potential adopter has one bad rescue experience, he is more likely to turn to breeders, etc..

    http://thepetstudio.blogspot.com/2011/08/stop-fighting-good-adoptions.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a ton for this. I am desperate to start my own rescue and a lot of it is because of this. I volunteer at a county shelter that won't adopt a pit bull, rottweiler, Akita, husky, mastiff, etc out to a home without a 6 foot fence. 6 feet. Basically excludes all renters... I have my 2 pit bulls in my apartment and they are very happy and well-adjusted. But no one would ever adopt to me either. I adopted my male pit about a month ago and had to list my parent's address as my own because they wouldn't adopt to someone in an apartment, even though I have had a pit bull for 6 years and taken very good care of her. My dog is so happy and content with me and he was downright miserable in that shelter. Meanwhile they kill about 220 pit bulls a year...many of which are adoptable. We need a happy medium. We need to screen potential adopters. We need to be sure animals aren't going to homes where they will be abused or neglected. But if a home is providing vet care, food, shelter, love and exercise, who are we to say that it's not good enough? I think that for a shelter animal, it's more than enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this story. I started working with rescue organizations in 1995 and I ended up stopping because it got insulting that they were turning down the very people that were volunteering week after week with them. They were insulting condescending, and self-righteous and the whole time their dogs are overweight, and their house smells like urine and feces. I am glad to see that there is more than just me these days upset that dogs and cats are dying every day all because we are refusing homes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote about this topic as well because I share your frustration. I found your blog from a mention on the KCDogBlog. Thanks for writing. I agree. We need to get these dogs into homes. These homes do not need to be "perfect." They just need to provide love and security and the dog's basic needs. That is enough for most dogs.

    ReplyDelete