Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tails and Truths: Fighting City Hall

Ever wonder what it would be like to fight City Hall – or, okay, maybe just your “friendly” neighborhood association?

Well, I am about to find out!

After 5 years of chasing the dogs through neighbors’ yards or screaming for them to come back after running out into the street towards other dogs or people walking by, we decided that we should get a fence.

A few days ago, I had the first “fence guy” come out and start giving ideas on how to run the fence and of course, how much it will cost.

We have a rather large backyard at least an acre and, well, I didn’t want to put up my first born to pay for the fence!

He had great ideas and together we mapped out the perfect fence.

That is, until, my nice (and I mean that) neighbor made sure I knew that all fences had to be approved by the association board. Did I mention that he also happens to be the President of the board?

After the “fence guy” drove away, I was left to chase the dogs out into the prairie where my neighbor was throwing seed to embellish the area with more flowers, etc.

He wanted to know why I didn’t want to put in an invisible fence…Well, let’s just say that that could be a blog all of its own.

I explained that I will not put one of those collars on my 10 pound Shih Tzu or my 15 pound Chinese Crested. Not only do I feel that they are much too small to be trained in the manner of electric shock – I cannot fathom the adverse reaction it would have on their already fragile emotional states after what they endured for years in a puppy mill.

I am not alone in these beliefs. Animal welfare people all feel the same about invisible fences. In fact, I had both Shih Tzu rescue and Chinese Crested rescue send me their adoption applications which both specify they will NOT adopt to people with invisible fences.

I didn’t just make this shit up.

Sure, for bigger dogs who don’t have jaded pasts it is a feasible idea – but not for me.

My neighbor loves nature and expressed that he would just like to see things wide open… and doesn’t mind my dogs being in his yard. Well, I do… and unless he wants to spend hours standing out there watching them and waiting on pins and needles for their next ambush on innocent walkers and runners – then, I don’t think it matters that he doesn’t care.

Minutes before my neighbor attempted to squash my dream – I had even said to the “fence guy,” “This fence is not about looks – it, literally, will change our lives.”

I could go on and on about all of the rules already broke in our neighborhood – the fences that are in, the businesses being operated from homes, the landscaping done without permission…on and on…

I have already put together a rather thick packet in support of my fence. My husband says I am nuts – that I didn’t have to get so worked up over it. Maybe he is right – maybe it was PMS – but the point remains – what is good for the other geese in this neighbor is good for the gander!

As I walked (okay spied) my neighborhood for fences, I found all kinds. Even one that is a split rail and has chicken wire stapled to it…very becoming… There are privacy fences and unpainted worn fences, there are broken fences - there are all kinds of fences.

And, quite frankly, none as nice as the one we want to put in. Ours is a beautiful black iron gated fence that is completely unobtrusive to its surroundings. I am not looking for privacy or even to keep my neighbors out – I just want to keep my dogs in!

I know why there are restrictions for a neighborhood – no one wants to live next to some jethro – with a yard full of used cars and a house with boarded up windows – underwear hanging on the back clothesline. I get that… But, I don’t get how common sense can be thrown to the wayside.

Most of all, I don’t want this to affect our relationships with our neighbors…and sadly, fences usually “don’t make good neighbors.” But, if they can’t see the good in our fence – I really do think it could come back and literally, bite them in the butt!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Funny last sentence!
    Good luck to you! A fence will make your life a lot easier with four dogs!

    ReplyDelete