Monday, March 1, 2010

Tails: Believing in the Unimaginable


This was Sunday...

It is hard to describe how I feel right now… Thorp and I just got home from the big test and he passed! Thorp earned his Canine Good Citizen and Therapy Dog International certification!

It is as though my first born graduated college!

Seriously though, it has been long road for the both of us.

Almost exactly two years ago to the day – March 12th, I rescued Thorp from a nightmare I really never knew existed – a puppy mill auction.

He spoke to me when I looked at him in this cold wire cage and my heart sunk like I cannot explain. I had no intention of rescuing a dog that day and yet, my soul screamed that it was the right thing to do.

For $65.00 I took him home – no idea at all on what I would do this with this severely unstable and sickly dog.

But, that very day I had this vision that Thorp would tell the world about what he endured for 4 years and I would be the one to write his story… I am on page 135 right now but with no ending… Until today.

With the WI Puppy Mill legislation passed last fall and Thorp earning his certification today – my story is complete.

My eyes filled with tears as they announced we passed the exams today – and my soul smiled… That vision that I had two years ago came full circle today… everything I had hoped took place.

I rescued Thorp and in return he rescued me – he taught me patience and faith and helped me to find my passion.

Two years ago he was huddled in a cold cage – shaking and quivering – beat up and neglected… and now, as of today – it will be he who offers other people in need comfort and kindness and unbridled compassion.

Could there be a better story?

Maybe it is about paying it forward or believing in something much bigger than yourself or just having faith in something you cannot touch.

Thorp and I have this connection – we had it from the day I stared into his cage and he licked my hand.

This test was not easy for either of us – it meant that I had to be committed to training him (something I am very lax in) and it meant that Thorp would be held to higher expectations than just laying around and being needy.

Somehow, when it came right down to it – neither of us let the other down. I found time to be committed and Thorp found the ambition and the courage to conquer his fears.

Things he has not done in two years he learned… and today, he didn’t let me down. I think he even surprised himself.

Thorp was meant to be a therapy dog – his unending need to be held or pet – his gentle way and his eyes that speak a thousand words of unconditional love. Being a therapy dog was his calling – and it was my job to help him achieve it and his job to follow the rules.

We were a team today – an unspoken team who both wanted this to happen.

Sure that might sound crazy to some – but it is the truth.

It was two years ago this March 12, that changed Thorp’s life as well as mine… and now, Thorp will be able to share his story about surviving in a puppy mill, share his love with those in need and hopefully, change their lives forever.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to you and Thorp!
    I love stories with happy endings!

    ReplyDelete