Friday, March 5, 2010

Truths: TGIF

Oh – it has been a Hell of a week. A court hearing to settle my brother’s estate, family feuds, and did I mention that my husband is having surgery today?

It is one of those weeks where you cannot focus on any one matter too long because before you know it, the next matter is staring you in the face.

That is how this week has been for me.

I have screamed, I have cried, I have almost given up.

But what do I do when things get out of hand – I go shopping!

Yesterday, I had had enough of all the crappy news and I got in the car and I went to the outlet mall and shopped at Carter’s. Carol had given me a store flyer and they were having a 50% off all baby stuff.

Of course, for a shopper, like me, this is a sure opportunity to shop, shop, shop!

The bad news is that the sale would end one day before one of my stepdaughters finds out if she is having a girl or boy!

But, like Carol said, buy both and return what you don’t need. It is critical that you take advantage of the sale!

I walked into Carter’s and my mouth dropped. (Now it has only been 5-6 years since I used to shop there myself for Abby) But, this time it was different. The whole store was like a candy shop and I just didn’t know where to go first!

Signs hanging all over reading 50% off – baby clothes strewn everywhere reminding how small and precious they are.

I seriously was overwhelmed.

The boy stuff is right in the front. So, I started there – only to think… Gosh, I hope it’s a girl!

Let’s face it – boy stuff just doesn’t have the magical quality that little girl stuff has. I mean how many footballs and baseballs can a kid wear. And who ever decided that safari animals were perfect for boys’ clothes.

I will be honest – it was hard for me to pick up any of it and get excited.

So, off to the girl stuff I went. My eyes bulged as everywhere I looked there were outfits I had to have. Pinks and bright greens and flowers and polka dots and everything that makes me smile.

I had no idea what rack to go to first. All of these cute onesies and jumpers and sun dresses… I could already feel my wallet getting thinner!

Before I had gone to the girl section, I did stop by the bibs and there were so many cute ones that I already had 5 hangers on my fingers and now as I swept every baby girl outfit I could find into my arms – I about fell over.

I finally stopped to breathe and took the clothes over to a display table and began sorting them out trying to come back to reality. They were all so cute – how could I decide. I did manage to put a few back and then I decided it would only be fair to go see the boys stuff again.

In the meantime, a nice saleslady came to see if I needed help. I explained that I was going to be a grandma two times over in the next few months. She said, “Girls, huh?”

I said, “No, we don’t yet.”

She said, “Well, by the looks of it, you must have an inkling.”

I said, “No, I just know what I want!”

That is when I knew it was time to go to the boys section!

Amazingly, after being engorged by pink posies and polka dots, the boys stuff seemed kinda cute.

Beach bum logos, puppy dogs, and all star shirts seemed to be fun. I actually pictured my grandson tromping along in his plaid shorts and beach t-shirt looking as fashionable as a Hollywood heart throb.

I even got to thinking that a boy…wouldn’t be that bad.

My arms were going numb with all of the clothes I had piled on top of them and when I started adding more and things kept falling off – well – I knew it was time to stop.

I walked on over to the counter and held my breath as the nice saleslady added up my purchases.

As much as I dreaded the total – I couldn’t help but be so excited. A few people in the store commented on my full arms and when I told them that the first two grandchildren were coming only 6 weeks apart – they all smiled and said, “You are going to have a blast!”

Oh yes I am!

I had bought enough to get myself a free diaper bag… Grandma should probably have one of those… and I bought enough to get a stack of dollars to spend next month!

Won’t my husband be thrilled!

By next month, I will know what one of the babies will be… watch out Carter’s you haven’t seen nothing yet!!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun shopping trip! I ended up spending 20 minutes in the children's section a few weeks ago and I have no babies to even buy for!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete