Thursday, April 15, 2010

Tails and Truths: Overlooking Things We Love

I have been feeling a little blah these days… No real reason… So, I decided the night before last that I would take Buddy, our biggest and oldest dog for a long walk in town.

See, about 5 years ago, I lived in town. Woodstock, home to the movie, “Groundhog Day,” is a very quaint little town. We have a beautiful square with shops and restaurants. The road is all cobblestone. The inset a beautiful park.

I love the square – it is everything life isn’t anymore – peaceful, homey, inviting.

Well, when I lived in town I walked everywhere – I loved seeing the square and all of the historic homes. Not to mention, I was training for the Avon Breast Cancer 3 day walk – 60 miles!

I walked and I walked – like Forrest Gump ran and ran. But, I never gave it a single thought. I would take a few steps out of my house and never look back.

I have gained some weight over the year from some meds that I take and, okay, I probably could work-out more.. But, I have been struggling with what exercise option to go with. I had been doing the treadmill – but it is so routine. Same TV channel – same music blaring so I forget that I am sweating my ass off…

Now that the snow has melted – being down in the basement is even less appealing.

My other option is to walk the neighborhood. We live in a beautiful neighborhood. It is full of large, mature trees, two ponds, lots of space between homes, hills, etc. It is wonderful. But, it is boring. Just too predictable and mundane.

SO, for some reason I finally woke up and remembered how much I used to love walking in-town. Kind of an “A HA” moment even though all along it should have been obvious.

The best thing is that our subdivision feels out of town – but it is a quick walk back in. The other great thing is that city installed a wonderful sidewalk and walking over pass for the bridge so that it would be safer for us to walk to the square.

It was just finished late last fall. It is perfect.

With my mind set on that walk – I also decided that I would bring Buddy. Yes, we have 4 dogs…but, little Penelope cannot walk that far. One trip around the neighborhood and half way she lays down and won’t budge. Can’t say I blame her with those little feet… But, none the less… I didn’t want to carry her home.

Sadie is a bit old and a little out of shape and a walk that far would probably kill her…

And Thorp, he could probably do the walk but lately, with his obedience training and therapy certification – well, he has gotten a lot more attention than any of the other dogs.

Buddy was the perfect choice. He was our first dog and with all the ones who followed I think he has gotten less and less attention. And while it is horrible to say… Buddy is getting old and it just feels like we should start spoiling him again – just in case Rainbow Bridge invites him over.

I grabbed a bottle of water, some poop bags and Buddy and I were off. I felt good just knowing where we were going. The new walking path was amazing - as though it was made just for me to get back to the area I longed for.

The day was 80 plus and sunny – with a slight breeze. Buddy and I walked and every moment was enjoyable.

We made it to the square, to the library, and around all the old homes that I love (But, that take waaaaay too much time and money to make enjoyable to actually live in – I know – I tried it!)

The high school kids were getting out and walking all over. I felt alive. The people, the hustle and bustle of our small town. The fresh spring grass – green as could be.

I was breathing as though it was my first breath.

Buddy walked like a champ. Like me, this was monumental to him. He was alone – like an only child again. On the run – like a big dogs loves. It was him and me and he was strutting like he couldn’t be happier.

And, I got to really see him again. Him – not a whole pack. Just him and how cute he is – and what a good dog he is.

When you spend so much time rescuing and taking in crazy dogs – it is overwhelming and the dogs you already had, sadly, can fall to the back.

I had overlooked Buddy and I felt horrible – but it felt awesome to be with only him again. This was our hour alone.

I think we walked about 3 ½ to 4 miles from home and back. And what started as beautiful weather became really hot as we walked. My face was red as a tomato and, nearing the end, Buddy was dragging.

However, the whole time was wonderful. In fact, it made me re-examine a lot of things – like why we ever forget the things that we love to do and the people (or dogs) we love to do them with.

How had I ever forgotten how much I enjoyed walking in-town. How, even after 4 miles – I was still ready to do more.

I guess life gets in the way too much to remember what we once had and how much we liked it. We let things crowd our heads and somewhere pieces of us get lost and disheveled and instead, we spend time treading water – looking for those magical things that will bring us peace.

I think the ones that are the most subtle, the most natural, the ones that are usually free – like walking – are the ones we let go of in the midst of chaos. What a shame.

All I know is that I am anxious to walk to town today – to see Buddy feel young and spoiled again – for me to re-energize by feeling the excitement of my town and the comfort of the quaint square.

No, I won’t be able to do it everyday – life can get in the way – but most importantly is that I have re-discovered one of the things that brings me joy and I can do it whenever I want again!

No comments:

Post a Comment