Friday, April 30, 2010

Truths: FIVE

Today is my five-year wedding anniversary. Five years ago today my husband and I were standing on the pier at my parents home in FL – exchanging vows to spend the rest of our lives together.

It was a beautiful, but windy day and amazingly over 100 people came to see us marry. Most of them dear friends who traveled from Chicago. We are blessed to have such wonderful friends who wanted to share in our happiness.

Five months prior to our wedding was an engagement made from fairy tales. My friend, Delreen, and I went to LA for a girls’ weekend. Took in all of the tourist traps and enjoyed wine and dinner for three nights. On the last day there, Bill showed up and proposed to me on Redondo Beach. It was so romantic and so very unexpected.

And truthfully, that is how our marriage is – romantic and always unexpected.

I know five years isn’t much. Even my first marriage lasted longer. And Bill’s first marriage was over 20 years. But, in just five years, I feel as though we have climbed mountains.

We have blended two families, seen each other through major medical issues and somehow along the way – maintained that spark – that untouchable feeling that makes you fall in love with someone again and again.

In the most horrific of situations – we can make each other laugh. We can cry – knowing that the other is going to not only wipe the tears away – but the pain, too.

Each night we kiss before we fall asleep and as mundane as that might sound – I think it makes all the difference. And before Bill leaves for work each morning, as I lie sound asleep – I know he kisses me goodbye.

We share each others’ dreams and we support each others passions. I know that I am a better person because of Bill – and what more could I ask of a partner?

We have survived a lot in just five years – and I can only hope that that means the next 20 years will be nothing but bliss… But, I know better.

More importantly, I know it doesn’t matter what lies ahead – because I know we will get through it – and in the end we will smile and laugh and be thankful that we have each other.

I know this all might seem like some sappy Hallmark card or Lifetime movie – but I speak from the heart when I say that I love my husband.

I love who he is and I love who he helps me to be. More than anything, I love who we are together.

I love our dreams for the future and though, sometimes trying, I love everyday we have until then.

We always smile when we see the movie, “As Good as it Gets,” with Jack Nicholson – because we say that if this is as good as it gets – we are going to be okay.

This year, in particular, has started bittersweet. Bill has been rather sick and it has been tough at times but we also found out that our two older daughters will each be having babies: a boy and a girl. What could be more exciting?

I think grandchildren are the icing on the cake when it comes to a blended family – I see them as the glue that will hold everyone together – and make us a real family. I could not be more thrilled to move on to this next stage and to share with Bill the joy of being grandparents.

At the same time, Abby will go to Jr. High this fall – a stage that I am unsure I am ready for. It is fortunate that Bill has already “ been there” because I know that it could be the hardest time I have had. (That is if history repeats itself and Abby and I share in the same relationship I had with my mom!)

I think that there is one place above all else where we share ourselves and our dreams the most: our cabin.

We bought it together years before we were married and I know that many friends thought it was crazy – odd – ridiculous – to buy something as a couple without any real legal partnership.

But, there was a time when we put this puzzle together and it was a picture of a cottage in the middle of nowhere on a lake and the two of us both dreamed of how we would live there one day and everything would be perfect.

When we found this cabin – we knew it was THAT place – that place where nothing else mattered – where everything we believed about our love would remain true and steadfast.
And it has and it does – continue to renew our love each time we are there. It is as though it is magical.

(The renovation of the cabin was not magical…It was horrible – but, we survived it and that probably makes us love it that much more!)

We are lucky not only to have found each other but to appreciate each other – not only the things we love to do together but to respect and encourage the things the other is passionate about.

Sure there are days when we get irritated with one another – but in the end – every night comes that little kiss that lets us each know – we are always in this together and our love is something to never take for granted.

Happy Anniversary, Bill… I love you!

1 comment: