Monday, November 1, 2010

Truths: Everything AND the Kitchen Sink

So, if you have kept up with the blog – you know by now that my kitchen has become my enemy. The place I was hoping to turn into my sanctuary – this haven for a new hobby (cooking) has revolted against me. And for every new appliance I attempt to put in it – war breaks out.

This weekend was no different.

My dear, loving husband humored me and agreed to replace the ugly green kitchen sink. (of course, I know that he did it for two reasons: 1) to prolong the kitchen remodel and 2) he undoubtedly loves me… and a lot - this I know is true after what transpired)

Thursday night we ventured out and shopped for a new sink hours after my endoscopy. (If you have never had one – they place a probe down your throat to examine your esophagus and stomach – they give you these amazing drugs that put you to sleep and cause you to forget everything about the procedure… They also tell you that you shouldn’t make any important decisions for the rest of the day… But a kitchen sink shouldn’t qualify, should it?)

After browsing two home improvement stores, we settled on a beautiful stainless steel model and found an equally beautiful faucet to go with it. You may notice that when I speak of kitchen items – I describe them as art – mostly because in my house they are art – not actual working pieces.

All along our journey I re-assured my husband that according to the Home Depot how to video – this should take about 20 minutes. The video was only 5 minutes so I was padding it. My husband smirked as he paid for the sink and the faucet and the putty and the sealant and the water hoses and the strainers and… you get the idea.

Saturday was sink day. Bill got right to it. Unhooking hoses, garbage disposal, cutting the seal around the old sink. It didn’t take long and the ugly green sink was sitting on our driveway for all the world to see… To see that we have lived with this ugly old sink all of this time and to know we were getting a new one. We were the Joneses this time. Keep up with us!

The old sink sat in the drive as the new one modeled itself atop the sparkling stove (that if you remember doesn’t fit in the space) The sink gleamed and awaited its new home.

However, it would not be moving in just yet.

Everything that happened next was NOT on the how to video… that is all I know. The disposal didn’t work with the new drains we bought – the water lines did not fit the new faucet and the absolute worst was that the sink did NOT fit in the hole where the old one did. (yes, we bought the same size sink…just like I bought the same size stove but…)

No, everything quickly fell apart. My husband started the project at 11am and now it was 5 and he had made 3 trips to Menards… Cussed many times and I am certain said a few things about me under his breath.

But it was 5 and we were hungry and we had promised Abby that we would carve pumpkins…so we took a break from what was pure insanity and ate our pizza and watched our Tivoed Modern Family Halloween episode and laughed. We really needed to laugh.

The pumpkin carving story I will save for tomorrow’s blog because it deserves its own.

Needless to say that once the carving was done – the plumber quit for the evening – staring at the hole that was too small and undoubtedly wondering why on Earth he ever married me.

Sunday morning came and Bill was up bright and early to cut through the ceramic tile countertop and two layers of plywood that were preventing the new sink from fitting in.

Saturday I had spent cleaning the house because we had friends coming over to trick or treat… or should I say the kids would trick or treat and the adults would drink a few beers – at any rate – people were coming over.

Well, my cleaning was for not because once the grinding wheel started the dust flew EVERYWHERE and every inch of our house became brushed with a fine tan film.

The dirt was flying and the saw cutting and the sink job that should have taken 20 minutes was now on 24 hours.

We took a break and drove an hour each way to Abby’s soccer game – where they lost (again) and headed back home to beat the clock and have the sink in, the house cleaned and beer chilled before our friends came by… But yeah, who I was I kidding - that was never going to happen.

Instead I dropped Abby off at our friends and returned home to stand by the man I love and cheer him on to sink victory.

He did win and the sink went in – the hoses lined up and the disposal ran and the water flowed (without leaks) and the sink shined…

My dear husband just spend over 24 hours working on a sink project for me. And I spent 24 hours cleaning the house only to realize that every glass, dish and pot is still covered in dust.

But, the point is not that I have a new kitchen sink – even though I do – and I love it and I love even more that the green one is sitting in our driveway and probably will for a week or more showing the neighbors that not only we did get a new sink and they should be jealous but that we are now bordering on white trash with our ugly sink on the front lawn…

But the point is – my husband knew all along that my pipedream of a 20 minute project was ridiculous but he followed along anyway. He knew it was important to me and did everything under the sun to do it the right way. And while I love getting flowers and gifts – what he did this weekend says more about how much he loves me than any bouquet or bracelet. And that is why I love him…that and he is pretty darn cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment