Sunday, January 2, 2011

Truths: The Big Four Oh

“If life really begins on your 40th birthday, it's because that's when women finally get it… the guts to take back their lives.” -- Laura Randolph

Yep, today is my 40th birthday… The big 4-0… The whopper – the birthday where you realize that you really aren’t getting any younger… At the time 30 seemed like a big deal – a turning point that shouted, “You are not 20 anymore.” But, 40 – 40 is different.

40 allows you to NOT be 20- anymore… No more trying to fit into the junior section at the store – and I mean that in two ways – the first just actually physically trying to fit into the jeans that were made for young girls who never gave birth and the second just trying to make that belly shirt look appropriate for a night out with your friends.

40 screams you are not 20 – so it is actually a relief – a new state of mind – you can stop trying to be younger and finally just be your age.

I am grateful for that.

I also think that when you get to 40 – you finally know who you are and who you are not. You have spent 40 years getting to know yourself and it is refreshing to look in the mirror and say, “I recognize myself – I know what I want and I know what I am going to do to get it.”

No more being someone else – thinking you need to minimize who you are in order to impress other people. No more wasted time on people you really don’t like or friendships that require more work that they are worth.

No more worrying about your messy house when people come over… and no more wearing 3” heels to parties.

I think 40 is when you begin really living. Seeing the world for what it is and embracing it. Sure you still have dreams – but they are no longer clouded my naïve fantasy – they are outlined with the steps it takes to achieve them – a true sign of maturity.

I have noticed something new about me in just the last few months leading up to this day… Like women who “nest” right before they have children… for me at 40 there is a different phenomenon – clearing out the clutter. I can feel my body letting go of things that just get in the way of living.

I have tried that before but it was a half empty attempt – this time I actually am being led by something bigger and it sure feels good.

I am embracing 40 – holding on with both hands and sailing into the wind for the ride. I have high hopes for this year and all those that follow it.

One of the great things about this year is that many of my friends are turning 40 also and there are lots of trips planned… Jamaica, Spain, South Beach, FL… maybe a trip back to drunken Key West… and my dad is planning an amazing trip for the two of us to Antarctica! 25 and 30 were tough for me – but 40 – is going to be like a yearlong celebration.

While there will be traveling – I am also looking forward to slowing down. Enjoying the everyday – making cooking a hobby not a necessary evil… and making sure that I am eating better and taking the time to stay fit. Secretly (or at least it was a secret) I would like to run a 5k. I know that might seem small to most – but it would be huge for me.

My biggest hope is to get a book deal for my nonfiction novel detailing my three-year experience rescuing puppy mill dogs and lobbying to change the laws. It seems 40 would be THE year to achieve that.

Having a birthday on January 2 isn’t anyone’s ideal… But, I love that fact that my age change coincides with the infamous “new year’s resolution”. What an optimal time to declare aspirations and make changes.

Cheers to 40 and to where 2011 will take me… I am ready for the ride!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! 2011 and your '40' is bound to be a great year! PS...I now know you want to run a 5K and think it's AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete