Monday, January 3, 2011

Truths: A Fabulous First Day of Being 40

Wow… yesterday has to be one of my best birthdays ever. I knew there would be a party and for the most part I knew who was coming – but none the less – I was so pleasantly surprised at how fantastic the day would go.

It was more than just my birthday – I mean the basement was finally done and the new bar open and the Bears were playing the Packers – it was an all around day to celebrate and the fact that it happened to be my actual birthday – well, it was ideal.

The day started by Bill and Abby taking me out to breakfast because “elves” were coming to decorate… and at the diner they gave me my gift… a whole year of someone cleaning my house!!! It was just what I wanted (and quite frankly – just what our house needs!) So, by 9am I already had everything I dreamed of!

We came home to green and gold streamers and balloons and piñatas and Happy Birthday plastered everywhere! It was so festive…

Bill was busy getting everything ready – because he said he would take care of it all. (By that he meant that he would get the beer and my dear friend Carol would get all of the food) But none the less – he did get everything ready and Keith and Carol would arrive with trays upon trays of food and cake and in minutes my entire house was ready for a party.

A few at a time my friends would arrive – each wishing me a happy birthday and then hugging up to the bar for something good to drink. By 2pm – our entire basement was filled with all of the people I love. (minus a few who couldn’t make it because they live too far away - different states even a different country! But the few who weren't there founds their own way to be a part of the day. One sent daily emails for a week - each one of them listing 40 things about a topic... One sent a beautiful, heartfelt gift that will always mean so much to me, so even those who couldn't be a part of the celebration were already near in spirit.)

Sure I came up with the guest list – but when I looked around – I couldn’t help but be taken back… This entire room of people were all that mattered to me – all in one room – celebrating this milestone of a birthday with me.

Friends from all different aspects of my life from grammar school to college to work friends to dog rescuing friends to my “mom” friends… they were all there hanging out with each other – some meeting for the first time.

And of course, my daughter and my step-daughter and my soon to be in son-in-law – they were all there laughing, cheering during the game…

Maybe its what happens at 40 – this revelation of what is important – what has real meaning – well, it happened to me yesterday.

I just kept stepping back from the crowd and taking deep breaths – in utter amazement. What a blessed life I have. How many people get to be surrounded on their birthday by such dear friends and family – people who want nothing more but to support you and wish you well. People who only expect you to be yourself and nothing more – and on days when you can’t even get out of bed to be yourself – they love you anyway.

Many brought perfect gifts – but the real gift was truly them. Having them in my life – making me a better person – keeping me real and honest and true. For 9 hours yesterday – all I ever wanted was right in front of me – a life filled with happiness and the people I care most about to share it with.

Yesterday was my first day of being 40 – and if it is any indication of the next 40 years of my life – I will be the luckiest, richest person in the world.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is so awesome! And, a year's worth of someone else cleaning the house ... HEAVEN!!! Happy 40th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great gift! And a great party!
    Glad I could celebrate with you! XO

    ReplyDelete