Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Truths: The Magic is Over or is it?

We took down all the Christmas decorations this weekend. The festive lights, the nostalgic ornaments, the cute snowmen that cover my home from room to room, the stockings that once anticipated what goodies would fill them.

One room at a time the decorations disappeared and a sense of emptiness took its place. And the lights outside came down, the twinkling glitter no longer brightening our home and inviting people in.

Yes, I was more than ready to have my house back. To gain some sense of control and re-establish my routine, but once the stuff was all packed away in bins – everything seemed a bit dismal.

Yes, the rooms were larger and we could all breathe again with the open space and lack of clutter, but it hit me hard.

The anticipation of the magic of Christmas was officially gone. The wonder of what would be unwrapped and the fun of watching others open the gifts you worked so hard to please them with. (yes, I know that I bought all of my own gifts – so my surprise was little to nothing – I am totally okay with that because I had NO returns at all!)

Right or wrong, I am not a religious person. I believe in something bigger than me – but Christmas is really a holiday of spirit – of giving – of believing in the impossible for me.

Once it is over – some of that just goes away. And, that is kind of saddening.

The presents get put away and the feeling of possibility drifts.

I am melancholy to say the least – but I am holding my own. I know that there will be next Christmas and until then, there is this amazing new year ahead of me.

So much to look forward to, so much to be grateful for. And, I guess, as I give it more contemplation, Christmas does not have to be the only magical part of the year.

Every day is an event that offers hope and a sense of renewed spirit. It all just depends on how we look at it.

In my stocking was this little sign I have hung on my “to do” board it says, “Any given moment can change your life, you just have to be there.” (yes, I bought it for my stocking).

I look at it everyday now as I read my emails and write this blog and it reminds me that this day has just as many possibilities as Christmas does…and it gives me the ambition to go out and seek what might just change my life today.

Each day is our chance to make a difference, to change our old, unhealthy behaviors, to make peace with an old enemy (maybe even ourselves), an opportunity to accomplish or seek out the things in our life that we are missing or want to achieve.

Each day is a chance to start over… each day is filled with the magic of possibility.

Don’t wait ‘til next Christmas to unwrap it.

No comments:

Post a Comment