Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Truths: A Surprise Enlightenment

Last night I took my daughter to basketball practice (and Bill because he is the coach). And when we got to the gym, there was a game about to start.

At first glance, I didn’t notice anything special – but when I looked closer, I realized that the players were all special needs individuals – probably ranging in age from 16 to over 30.

Instead of watching my daughter’s practice, I chose to stay and watch the game. I didn’t have high expectations for the players’ skills or that the game would be fun to watch – but something inside me urged me to sit and learn.

The game started and within minutes, I was smiling. I was cheering and my soul was renewed.

These individuals were amazing. They knew the game, they knew their positions and they were outstanding players.

Sure some of the regular rules are overlooked. Like, double dribble, over and back, traveling, etc – but there are fouls and out of bounds and they do keep score.

These players were competitive and wanted to win, but they were so kind and so supportive of everyone on the court. They clapped for one another and I could feel their genuine spirit and their happiness to be playing.

At times, I nearly had tears in my eyes… maybe because I misjudged what I would see, maybe because I was moved by their raw desire to play the game, maybe because I just never gave thought or consideration to anything like this before.

I have spent my life entrenched in animal welfare – rescuing dogs who had no chance and that is what has defined me.

I never really took a moment to see the rest of the world and the challenges some people face either as individuals with disabilities or special needs or as the families and friends coping with them everyday.

My heart opened last night in a way I never imagined and it felt good to be there. To be cheering for people I have never met but yet, felt so privileged to watch on the court.

It opened my eyes, my spirit and my soul…to not the sad or difficult things in life but to the opportunities and the possibilities.

It showed me there is no impossible dream or goal – we are the ones who tell ourselves we can’t do it. We are the ones that either take the wheel and define who we are or the ones who put on the brakes and limit our own dreams.

Last night there were phenomenal individuals playing in a game – I would bet some people told them as children they would never play – probably told their parents they would never be able to watch. But, those players last night never let someone else’s limitations define them – they never let anyone get in the way of what they knew in their hearts they could achieve…

And if that is not enlightening to watch and to be a silent observer of – I just don’t know what is.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to forward this to all of my staff. You have captured the true essence of humanity...

    ReplyDelete