Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Tails: Dog Beach: Therapy and Hope

While out in San Diego, my step-daughter, Lindsey took me and Abby to see their local dog beach. We brought Portland, their rescued mixed breed, along so she could enjoy her favorite pastime: playing with her friends.

After all of the things I have done with dogs from walking them to saving them – I have never been to a dog beach. I knew it would be fun but I had no idea how healing it would be – how moving it would be – how enthralling it would be.

We walked towards the beach down a sandy path – and as we got closer a few dogs came up to Portland as if they were asking her to play. Within in minutes, Portland was off running! We continued our path to a tall rock on the edge of the shoreline and plopped ourselves down for what was the most amazing experience of my life!

All of these dogs of all breeds from a Chihuahua (5 lbs) to an English Mastiff (200 lbs) – maybe 50 or more were really frolicking in the surf. They were chasing each other and fetching balls, Frisbees, sticks. Some playing keep away others playing tug o war. There were even a few just sunbathing with their human counterparts.

As the waves crashed onto the beach, many of the dogs surfed in riding them – enjoying them – reveling in their freedom.

It all took my breath away. This captivating happiness- it was obvious the dogs were exuding. It fed into my soul and left my heart smiling and feeling whole.

For the last few years I have been weighted down by the other side of animal welfare – the sad side – the cruel side. I have been witness to caged dogs – who never saw sunlight or ocean surf – who never knew freedom – let alone love.

It is difficult, to say the least, to expose yourself to such neglect – cruelty, inhumanity. There were many days when getting out of bed seemed like a mountain – when petting a dog seemed trite – when looking at my own dogs made me feel guilty.

It has all left me cynical and hard – disbelieving of the world’s kindness and doubtful of the future of welfare for animals. It has all left me a little cold.

When you allow yourself to be surrounded by darkness – it becomes unimaginable to see light – to see thru to the other side.

My day at dog beach changed everything. It renewed my faith in people – it gave me hope for a better place for animals – It reminded me that not all people are cruel.

It also confirmed my belief that dogs do deserve better. To see them galloping thru the ocean surf and jumping in the waves and catching Frisbees and basking in sunshine, was proof that dogs are emotional creatures – they feel happiness and they must feel the pain of cruelty and neglect.

The joy I felt as I took in all of these dogs – all of these dogs being dogs was literally overwhelming. I can’t imagine better therapy – at least not for me.

It was exactly what I needed to soften my hardened soul and to believe in the promise that tomorrow will be better for the dogs who suffer, the ones who only dream of a day at dog beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment