Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Truths: The practice of yoga and the importance of today

As I was struggling with Triangle at yoga yesterday – trying hard to find balance between my ability and the beauty of the pose my yogi said, “It is not about the outward appearance, it is about the inner experience.”

Aaahhh – enlightenment.

I have come to find yoga as my spiritual guide – it is my church where I re-connect with myself and literally stretch beyond my self-imposed limitations. I am both grounded and freed during my yoga practice and I am able to find peace if only for 60 minutes.

People think yoga is just a bunch of crazy stretches that defy a body’s normal function. Yoga is just about everything but that.

For some it is just a physical activity – a way to build strength and flexibility. But, if you are a person like me, who questions organized religion – I believe yoga can be a very intimate journey. Each pose allows you the ability to open up your heart center and to take in the energy you might otherwise ignore.

Yes, I have grown in strength and muscle tone – but my soul has stretched as well. It has become more open and more kind and more accepting of others and even more importantly, accepting of myself.

At each yoga practice, my yogi also says, “Do what is right for you today.”

Today always seems forgotten – we are scrutinizing yesterday and planning for tomorrow but today – no one pays attention to. Today is what yoga is all about.

When my yogi said, “It is not about the outward appearance, it is about the inner experience.” It was as though she was speaking right to my heart. She is amazing that way…

So many things have been going on in my life – things that force me to worry about everything “outside” of myself and in the process – easily lose what matters to me – how I feel about things – what I truly want my life to look like – more importantly how I want my life to feel.

Sometimes I think – I forget to actually experience anything because I am too busy preparing for what is next.

Today I leave for San Diego to see my new grandson, Oliver. I have been so crazed running from place to place and meeting to meeting that I haven’t even had a chance to breathe and celebrate my excitement to see him. I am too worried about what to pack and to get the house clean for the meeting I have here on Monday when I return.

I think we all forget to check in with ourselves and how we are feeling inside – how experiences make us grow or what they teach us. We plow through routine just hoping to get to the other side.

That is the beauty of yoga – it provides this 60 minutes of present time. Your mind and body moving together – synchronizing – stabilizing your heartbeat and calming your soul – opening your heart and teaching you to breathe.

My life, right now, does not feel right – it is pushed and hurried and too scheduled. My calendar is filled with ink – and all I want is some white space.

For now, I cannot change the things that are filling my days – they are necessary even if they are not enjoyable. But, I have hope that soon the carnival of appointments and commitments will waiver and things will settle down.

But along the hasteful journey, I find time to practice yoga – to continually remind myself that there is more to this life – that today IS important and that when it all comes down to it – it is about the inner experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment