Monday, October 18, 2010

Truths: Go Team – Go!!

Green and Gold…Go Packers… Yep, still intoxicated by the smell of popcorn and cold beer and fresh, chilled football air – and the loud roar of the crowd from the Green Bay Packer Game.

We packed ourselves into the car at 5:30am to drive 4 hours and cheer our team to victory (or loss as it turned out). We dressed in green and gold (two colors that should not be on the same shirt – let alone fill a stadium) packed our coolers and grabbed our mittens and made our way to the infamous, “Lambeau Field.” Often coined the frozen tundra because of frigid cold WI weather – but lucky for us – it was a beautiful fall day.

We picked up our daughter, Kristin and future son-in-law Jeffrey along the way as Abby read off the team stats from the back seat.

We were primed and ready to go. Abby’s first game, my third and to all an exciting day to be a fan of any team.

Going to a football game is so much more than watching a football team play. It is this overwhelming sense of camaraderie – this fulfilling sense of belonging to something waaaay bigger than yourself. And quite frankly, it can be scary to see just how endearing some of the fans really are.

We pulled into the adjacent lot gaping at the RV’s and busses parked – drenched in green and gold Packer garb – cooking out burgers and brats – tapping kegs and throwing footballs. This was it – this was the beginning of the adrenaline rush a fan feels as they get closer to the stadium – closer to their team.

For Abby – it was so much to take in. But, she quickly fell into the swing of things by asking for a green and gold feather boa…walking proudly around the place – now just as crazy as the rest of them.

We didn’t have much hope for our tickets even though they cost us a portion of Abby’s college tuition…A friend said, “but the experience will be priceless…” no, really, it had a price!

But, our seats were amazing. We could practically reach out our hands and touch the turf – spit on a player – We sat basking in the sun and soaking up the excitement (and the beer).

What is even more amazing is how TV makes NFL football feel so differently than regular football. When you are sitting next to the field and watching the plays – you realize that, ultimately, it is no better than high school. The quarterback calls the plays and the linemen do their best to keep him safe. It is the same field – just the players are older – and bigger.

It got me thinking to 21 years ago when I was a senior in high school (I can’t believe I am giving away my age) and I was out on that field – as a football manager. Bringing the cute boys water and hanging with them as they talked about the plans for the evening (not the plays for the game!).

I was a football manager for three years in high school – and to this day consider it one of the best experiences of my life. I did the basketball cheerleading thing in the winter – but nothing could hold a candle to really being a part of the team… Yeah, maybe I dated a few of the players – but really, they became like brothers to me and it was about something bigger than myself.

See as a football manager – we got to spend everyday with the team – from hot summer double sessions of practice – to game day breakfasts – to bus trips and my favorite: the team meeting the night before the game. Being in that field house – listening to the coach motivate the spirit of the team – feeling the way the guys cared about the game… That was moving – Shouting rah, rahs while guys shot hoops – yeah, it wasn’t the same.

I liked football before I was a football manager – but by the time my senior year came around – I loved football and felt like I was a part of it.

It wasn’t just the game – it was everything that surrounded it – the practices, the meetings, the games, - our record was important to me – winning or losing mattered – but how we played the game on and off the field – that was what captured my heart.

These guys had my back – I was one of them and that was fun, amazing, and unforgettable. (what was forgettable was some of the pre-game nights when the sunshine club – aka: football team - did tequila shots in prep for Saturdays games…)

Being that close to the field yesterday – certainly made me remember what football means to me – the memories I have of being part of a team…

I think that is what brings fans together – not everyone can be down on the field – throwing or catching the ball – or coaching the team to victory – but everyone can dress themselves in team colors (however ugly they are) and cheer and for a few hours on a Sunday and be part of team much bigger then themselves.

1 comment: