Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Tails: The Making of a Dream

Today is a pivotal day for me and for my dog, Thorp. Nearly two years ago I walked into a Hell I never knew truly existed: puppy mills and puppy auctions.

I walked in practically on accident: I had only been there to protest. But at the advice of one of the experienced protestors – I went in to see what was going on.

Some of you know the story…When I walked into this dismal, cold barn and saw wire cages upon wire cages filled with scared and sickly dogs – my heart sunk to a place I cannot even describe.

Tears filled my eyes and I felt like I would never breathe again.

The dogs were only numbers. There were no toys or blankets – no food and no water. Only dogs whose eyes pierced through my soul because they were so lifeless and so empty.

What many people don’t know is that it is the Amish and the Mennonites who are running many of the mills… Those kind and gentle people do not treat animals like pets… I am not sure they even treat them at all.

As I walked from cage to cage, holding back my tears – I came to #171. He was a Chinese Crested Powder Puff (I had no idea what that was) and he was shaking.

He was the oldest dog there and looking at him broke my heart into a million pieces. There was no sign of life in his eyes – he had given up.

Even though it is against the rules – I opened the cage door and reached my hand to him. He moved so slowly to the front and licked my fingers in the most gentle of ways.

I moved closer and patted him on his side. His fur was so matted – I could feel that it was solid as a rock. The poor dog had to be in awful pain.

With no intention of even walking into that barn and certainly NO intention of buying a dog – I decided right there and then that #171 was going to be mine.

The auction took place and my stomach turned. It was horrific in any sense of the word.

As #171 came to the auction table, my heart raced and my hands shook – but I bought #171 for $65.00.

That day became one of the most important days of my life because it started me down the path to end puppy mills and to get involved with so many other rescuers who were desperate to end this horror.

And, it was the day that #171 came home with me.

Thorp, as I now call him – named after the town where the auction took place - is a dog who is unexplainable.

Yes, his spirit was damaged and yes, he has a lot of behavioral issues – but he is the most kind, the most gentle and the most loving dog you will ever meet.

I started that next morning writing everything about my experience and wrote nearly every day as I fought the battle to end puppy mills and to bring some sense of justice to Thorp.

Those writings have become the making of a 125 page book, so far. And as the months went on – it became my hope that the ending would include two things: a law in WI regulating the breeding of dogs and a therapy dog certification for Thorp.

Last fall the state of WI passed the puppy mill bill! It was a day of complete elation!

And, today, Thorp begins his training to be a therapy dog!

It has all been two years in the making but every step, every tear, every hurt has been worth getting to this point. To coming full circle and seeing a tragedy become a hope and horror becoming glory.

In my heart, I know that Thorp’s past has led him to this role – his survival in such bleak conditions filled his soul with a yearning to love and to give himself without anything in return.

He is going to be a therapy dog who will show unconditional love to everyone he meets.

I have known all along that it was my responsibility to give him a second chance and the opportunity for him to share the gift that was created out of such misery.

Two years ago I walked into something I will never forget – unknowingly, I bought a dog completely based on the intuition of my heart and soul… and I know that what seemed like a crazy compulsive decision was actually a moment of total clarity and purpose.

Today, we live out that dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment