Friday, February 19, 2010

Tails: When it is good, it is good

Two things happened on Wednesday that made me smile. The animal welfare world is so often filled with tears and pain that it is important to revel in the joy that comes along once in awhile.

At the training facility where Thorp and I went Wednesday, there is also a rescue called Bichons and Little Buddies. I have helped out there a few times and they do a great job of taking in all kinds of small dogs and finding them new homes. Patti, the Executive Director, is a friend of mine and she has saved so many puppy mill breeding dogs and given them second chances and loving homes.

I admire her work and the unending passion she has for it.

After our class, which Thorp did rather well in… if only he would lie down when he is supposed to. I guess that when a dog is very submissive and has been through the agony he has – lying down is a very vulnerable behavior – which makes him less likely to do.

We have to practice this week…

Anyway, Susan and I went back to see all the dogs up for adoption… OH GOSH… they have a bunch of pups which were born there… All of them would have born in a mill – if Patti had not rescued the mothers… Instead, these pups are in a cozy environment getting all of the love and attention they need.

If I didn’t have four dogs…. Gosh, I would want them!!!. If you want to check them out go to: http://www.bichonrescues.com/

Okay, back on track… So, as we were about to leave – a young couple came in to see Crave – an absolute doll – completely a mutt. Just this white, fuzzy little guy who came from a hoarding situation after he had already traveled from the deep south.

This little guy was as happy as they come. I couldn’t help but ponder what he has been through in the few short 6 months of his life. The miles he has traveled as a pup and the neglect he has endured.

But, this wonderful young couple, looking for their first dog was completely taken from the moment they saw him. My heart melted seeing it all transpire.

Susan and I helped get the dog out to them and sat and watched them play with him.

Crave ran from the woman to the man – bouncing and wagging his tail as though, he, too, knew they loved him… and he wanted to show that he would be grateful to be a part of their family.

While we didn’t stay for the whole adoption – I know in my heart, Crave went home with them and for the first time in his life – he would have a home and a family who would love him and care for him unconditionally.

In this “business” with so much heartache – all it takes is ONE day like that and I know it is worth it. Worth all the pain and the anger towards irresponsible people and abusive owners – worth all the protesting and the lobbying… just plain worth it all to see the system work.

To see a dog no one wanted find love and a second chance.

Ironically, also on that day, my husband came home and said we had something to celebrate…”Nothing huge,” he said, “But, it might be huge to you.”

We went out for a quick dinner (I don’t cook) and as we got our drinks he said, “I saved a dog today!”

Now, its not that my husband wouldn’t save a dog, it is that I don’t think he has ever been in a situation where it would be up to him to do it.

Apparently, on his way to work a little Pug ran out into the street. He swerved when he saw the dog and since there was on-coming traffic he parked the car sideways in the street. He saw a little girl running after the dog and a dad in the background screaming.

He knelt down to the ground and called the little Pug… (I know he learned what voice to use, a quiet, happy one, after all of the special needs dogs we have taken in) and the dog happily came right to him.

He picked up the “little guy” (as he called him) and brought him to the arms of the little girl – who had tears streaming down her face.

It was a happy ending and the best part was that my husband was so proud he could help…

I told him, “Now you will be hooked!”

Because once you actually save a dog from a terrible fate – you always want to rescue them and give them a second chance.

It is the very potion that keeps us all coming back.

2 comments:

  1. That Bill!!! :) Allison's first dog, Courtney, was a pug and was the sweetest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete