Thursday, February 25, 2010

Truths: DARE to Make a Difference

Tuesday I attended my daughter’s DARE graduation. For those that might not know about DARE it is a drug awareness course that teaches kids about drugs, alcohol, smoking, etc…and gives them the tools to say no when the time comes.

A wonderful police officer trained in DARE teaches the course for 9 weeks (once a week) to all of the 5th grade students.

I know that Abby loved the class and talked about it all of the time.

In particular, she would bring it up as my husband and I were having a few beers – or when we would take her to a bar and grille for dinner and she would choose to count how many beer signs were on the wall.

While I appreciate the idea behind DARE it made me look like an alcoholic!

During the graduation, one of my friends leaned over and said, “Do you really think this makes a difference?”

I said, “No.”

I know that is horrible – but I also still remember what it was like to be in high school and college.

And sadly, for Abby she is the product of me and her dad, Keith and well… I guess we must not have learned to say no…

During the graduation, we learned that they have been doing the program in our school district for 20 years… That is phenomenal but I am curious to know what the drinking and drug use statistics are like now in our high school. I have a feeling that they are still just as high (pardon the phrase).

Don’t get me wrong – I think the DARE program is outstanding and it certainly can’t hurt – but I also don’t think it is 100% effective.

And, I certainly hope that other parents agree with me…

Keeping our kids drug free takes a lot more than 9 classes on the risks of doing drugs and drinking alcohol in 5th grade.

It takes family and friends, too. Sure my daughter sees us and our friends and family drink but the important thing is that she also sees we don’t do it all of the time and that when we do we are responsible.

There are NO drugs in our house and that, too, is something she sees.
At dinner we talk about drugs and alcohol (as we drink our beers) and explain what they can do to her.

She is 11 years old… 11…and while I realize that drugs can be introduced in Jr. High – it is High School that I am worried about. And the fact, that by then, what she learned in DARE will be far from her mind.

I think many of us who had colorful pasts – worry about being hypocrites to our children as we talk about drinking in High School or taking drugs…People ponder if they should be honest about what they did and then explain how it was a bad decision or if they should swallow their honesty and just say they never participated as an example to their children.

I am still unsure of what I will do when Abby asks me what high school was like for me…

All I know is that we didn’t have a DARE program while I was in school…and yet, even if we did, I am not sure its lessons would have stuck with me once I got to high school and was surrounded by peers all persuading me to do one thing or another.

They say it takes a village to raise a child and I guess that is my point… Sure DARE is an excellent start at teaching kids about the risks of drugs and alcohol but it is only a start.

As parents, not only of our kids but of our kids’ friends, we must stay open to communication and treat our children as adults when we talk about drugs and alcohol.

We must not judge or assume when they come to us with questions…Because as Abby and her friends get older – decisions are going to get tougher and that cute little lion they got to hold during DARE class isn’t going to be as cute…

It will be up to us to continue the DARE message. (and I wouldn’t use a stuffed animal to do it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment