Monday, February 15, 2010

Truths: Chocolate Milk

Aaah…. We are back – back from sunny skies, white velvet beaches and fruity drinks. Yep, reality has set in and I am staring at the 6 inches of snow hardened to my driveway and the pile of mail that takes up all of the kitchen island. Ugh.

Our trip was amazing – every detail perfect and weather that was right out of a postcard. We really could not complain… but…

Oh – the service. The Sandals JUST opened the week we were there. We found out that we were their first guests! We knew, going into it, that the resort would be new – we just didn’t know it would be that new.

Still, the staff was extremely gracious…and they tried so hard but….

Things were awkward. My best example is ordering chocolate milk.

Every morning I drink a large glass of heavily cocoa powdered milk. I don’t do coffee or tea – this is my morning beverage.

Ordering this in the Bahamas is obviously as odd as telling them I am from space… maybe stranger.

For 9 mornings straight I ordered my chocolate milk and for 9 mornings straight it came different and it never came easy or quick. And, every time I ordered it – I got that look as though I just stepped out of a spaceship.

That is how pretty much everything was - . Everyone meant well – they just didn’t know what we meant.

Ordering meals was a very lengthy process and always a shot in the dark.

We ordered pizza a few times and each time – no matter what topping we asked for – we would get something else. It was always good but it was never what we wanted.

Yesterday, our last morning breakfast, we sat in the beautiful open air dining room – plopped on cushy sofas, surrounded by posh tropical print pillows – looking out to a mesmerizing landscape and we waited and waited and waited…for chocolate milk, for coffee, for anyone to take our order and we pondered how it was moments like these that actually made us feel good about going home.

I guess we take for granted all the customs and habits we live with everyday. Even on a bad day – customer service is nowhere as “relaxed” as it is on the islands. When you order chocolate milk no one stares at you with a blank face.

There are comforts of home that somehow manage to beat out 80 degree weather, palm trees and aqua blue water. Hard to believe but so true.

I have all week to catch you up on our amazing vacation…and it will take as long as –ordering chocolate milk in the Bahamas…

Okay, better go tackle that pile of mail or should I just say that pile of bills and the junk that lies between them.

1 comment:

  1. That is funny! Is this a no kids Sandals? They probably don't even think to prepare for chocolate milk drinkers. Whenever I order it at the club at brunches, the waiters smile when I tell them it's for me, not my kids, so don't put it in a kiddie glass.

    ReplyDelete